Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Graduation, Part 3: Singing

One of the things I love about Japan is how musical it is. It’s probably one of the only places where I can walk down the street singing to myself and not get any weird looks. Well, I might get a weird look cause I’m singing in English, but the actually singing is pretty normal. In fact, I wouldn’t be surprised if one day I come across a big musical number happening in front of the school.

So it comes to no surprise to me that the school has its own anthem or that the students must sing a few songs at the graduation. Of course they will sing the school anthem, which I plan on memorizing before the ceremony, the traditional graduation song, and a special song the first year and second year students have been learning for the third years.

When I first heard the graduation song, you can imagine my surprise when I recognized the melody for “Auld Lang Syne.” The Japanese graduation song is called “Light of Fireflies” which is in reference to in the old days when students study by a jar of fireflies. Not sure why they didn’t use a candle, but the imagery is quite nice. Here’s the lyrics:

hotaru no hikari, mado no yuki.           Light of fireflies, snow by the window,
fumi yomu tsukihi, kasane tsutsu.         Many suns and moons spent reading
itsushika toshi mo, sugi no towo.         Years have gone by without notice
aketezo kesa ha, wakare yuku.           Day has dawned; this morning, we part.

tomaru mo yuku mo, kagiri tote,         Stay or leave, either an end
katami ni omofu, chiyorozu no,           Think as mementos; so many
kokoro no hashi wo, hitokoto ni,        Corners of my heart, in one word
sakiku to bakari, utafu nari.                Sing for peace.

There are two other verses, but these two verses are what my students sing. I think it’s quite pretty. Not as good as “Everybody needs Sunscreen” but a lot better than “Graduation (Friends Forever).”

No comments:

Post a Comment